Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Surprise! It's Rockaway Beach!

I had an unexpected and amazing weekend!

My wife conspired to surprise me for my birthday.

She did such a good job of keeping the secret, and even lying to continue the surprise, that I'm now unsure I can believe anything she says!! (Kidding...sort of.)

The plan had been in the works for weeks.

Little did I know that during every shopping trip for the last two weeks, she was buying items for the weekend. This took a lot of planning on her part, as we only have one car, and I'm the one that takes it to work each day!

My beautiful wife found a place on Airbnb (three blocks from the beach!) in Rockaway Beach, Oregon.

She had researched the town and decided the meals for the two days - again, shopping without my knowledge.

When I got home from work on Friday night, she asked if we could get food out and just relax for the evening - she had already told me that the celery I needed for the planned home-cooked meal had gone bad (a lie!).

I agreed and then took the dog on a walk before leaving.

While I was out, she sneakily loaded up the car with the weekend supplies (food, drinks, clothes, cooler).

We grabbed some fast food (I still don't know how I easily agreed to this, since we've been recently eating healthier) and she told me to drive out of town.

Outside Beaverton, she had me pull over. She took over driving and drove the rest of the way to the coast (still not telling me where we were going).

Once in Rockaway, she pulled up next to a house and said this was our rental for the weekend. (A great house called the Retro Ranch.)

I was ecstatic! What an awesome surprise - I seriously didn't suspect a thing!

We toured the house, put our supplies away, and broke open a bottle of wine. Time to relax.

My wife casually mentions that the owner of the house likes to meet the renters, and that she would be stopping by in 30 minutes or so.

A little while later a car pulls up, the dog starts barking, and we open the door to say 'hi'.

Surprise!!

It was our friends! They were joining us for the weekend. And he was as surprised as I was!!

Turns out, the wives had conspired together to surprise us both for our birthdays.

The weekend turned out to be a blast. Great weather, great beach time, great food, and great company! Birthday celebrations!

Now the guys will need to figure out how to get them back!

Did you have a great weekend exploiting life?

Yours in exploiting life!
Quinn

No comments:

Post a Comment