Friday, June 13, 2014

Spanish Classes - Be Embarrassed, Have Fun!

My wife and I recently completed ten weeks of Spanish courses!

Learning Spanish has been a goal of ours for a number of years. It was even listed as one of my 2014 New Year's Resolutions!

For all my wanting to learn a second language, somehow not taking any action didn't help!  Go figure! Years later, I still didn't know how to say even the most basic phrases!

We purchased Rosetta Stone awhile ago, but I couldn't seriously commit any time to it.  (Plus, when practicing, it seemed like the same word kept changing...at the time I had no idea about conjugating verbs!!)

Well, after ten weeks...I still don't know much. (Ha!)

But I know a lot more than I did!

Having a native speaker teaching the course, a textbook, and homework really helped!

The course was through Portland Community College (PCC). We found a meeting location near our apartment and a time that fit our schedule.

We can now have some basic conversations and I at least understand why the words keep changing (but mean the same thing - dang the verbs are hard!)

I do think I was behind everyone else in class, but I didn't care!  I was learning and having fun! A little embarrassment here and there comes with learning new things.

This was definitely just the beginning.  We plan to study by ourselves over the summer (maybe we can find others in Portland that want to practice) and take another course in the Fall.  There's so much to learn!

Maybe by the time we take our first Latin American trip, we'll be able to have a fuller experience by understanding more of the culture through communication.

Have you studied a second (or third) language? What worked best?

Yours in exploiting life!
Quinn


No comments:

Post a Comment